Soldiers Monument

SOLDERS’ MONUMENT: Overlooking the Green, a bronze sentinel stands on his granite pedestal and silently watches the busy flow of life around him. This “Soldiers’ Monument,” erected as a memorial to the citizens who gave their services during the Civil War, was dedicated on Wednesday, May 31, 1871.

Four years after the close of the Civil War, the Grand Army of the Republic started a movement to raise funds for a soldiers’ monument and the entire community was immediately fired with enthusiasm for the project. A Soldiers’ Fair was held and this turned out to be one of the most successful money-raising projects of the times netting approximately $1,500.00. The wealthy citizens of the town gave generously; many organizations held special fund-raising activities…for every man, woman and child wanted to have a part in this inspiring project.

The Good Templars put on a pleasing drama, the High School contributed of its talent, and an exhibition by the St. Mary’s Sunday school was very pleasing.

The design of the memorial was drawn by artist, M. H. Mosman of the Ames Works, Chicopee, and it was his company that built the memorial. The first base of the monument is seven feet square; the second, four feet; and the die, four feet eight inches, and six feet high. The front face of the shaft has a tablet with the names of the soldiers who feel in the Civil War inscribed upon it; crowned with an alto-relief of a soldier in the act of falling on the battle field.

Assembled by the Tri-Centennial Association. Edited by Roscoe Scott and Edward James.