Center Cemetery Soldier's Monument

“In 1738, the first stone was erected, a memorial to a lad of nineteen years who died from drinking too much cold water,” according to Southampton Town records in the Edwards Public Library.

In March of 1865, an article was voted on to provide a monument to the memory of deceased soldiers in the “recent rebellion”. In 1866, the town fathers “voted to instruct the committee to procure a monument--not exceeding $600.” They “voted that the thanks of this town be presented to How. Samuel C. Pomeroy for his generous gift of $100 toward the erection of a monument to perpetuate the memory of our deceased soldiers engaged in the late war,” records show. The monument was dedicated on 1866.